Finished quilt: 77x99- add sashing if desired to gain standard bed sizing. The length is long even for king- if you want to decrease it for balance of pattern cut two entire rows for 77" length and add sashing.
This quilt takes a boat-load of fabric. PLEASE read all instructions before you even go fabric shopping! This is a WONDERFUL application for scrap! Most of the pieces are 1.5" in width for the design. Try delving into the scrap pile before shopping. If you need to go cheap on it I'd suggest doing Kona solids. If you really hate cutting you could do this quilt with some honey buns and additional fabric but it will be costly. I'm not a quilt-math genius so you may want to double check this before purchasing, but the way I figured it you'd need:
FOR SKULL BLOCKS (26 blocks 11x11 finished) MINIMUMS: 2.5 yds of background, 3 yd for design
FOR STRIPE BLOCKS (28 blocks 11x11 finished) MINIMUM: 3.5 yds
CENTER PIECE BIG BLOCK: 1 yd background, 1/2-3/4 yd design
BACKING: 79"x101" or larger. Here I'd recommend getting a Cal King sheet and using it because it's generally cheaper than 108" width material.
Calculated based on 40" of usable width fabric. You may want to vary this if you are going to do horizontal and vertical stripe blocks as I did.
You may not want to pre-wash your batting. More on this in the later post entitled "Sandwich Time".
Once your fabric has arrived you may like to use a digital camera in order to see which pieces fit best together.
No comments:
Post a Comment