Search This Blog

Friday, December 25, 2009

The way I shop

Yeah, I know, I said no basics, but really this isn't a basic step to making a quilt. It's actually rather complex and can prove time consuming. I much prefer shopping online and designer fabrics strike a fancy with me for a couple reasons. First, they are generally very attractive and unique but second, and actually more important, there tends to be less shrinking, less bleeding of the fabrics and less fraying upon pre-washing. Oh yes, I did say pre-washing if you are choosing red, pink, magenta or any other excessively bleed-able fabric you'd have to be a tad on the teeter of your rocker to not pre-wash. In general I prefer NOT to prewash but when red is involved it's a must!
Being of the reclusive nature and not liking to have children in tow with mini-carts at the local mega-fabric-store that carries what I see as mostly sub-par over-priced materials I do most of my shopping from equilter, fabricshack, and fabric.com. And no, those aren't affiliations, I just really like to shop those places. Equilter has an amazing variety of high end fabrics like Alexander Henry and a killer clearance section. Fabricshack is the only place to get Kona at an everyday low price without having to scourer the web for coupons but fabric.com runs some wicked sales and does have pretty nifty coupons floating around usually.
If you are shopping different places online or in person save a pic of the fabric in a special folder on your computer so you can see how they are going together. I did four basic colors for this quilt: black base, white base, red base, gray base.

No comments:

Post a Comment