Now I'm going to do some huge cardinal sin in quilters circles and tell you I LIKE to use Maxilock for piecing. Serger Maxilock thread works best on a separate thread stand. They're generally used for embroidery but they do keep things flowing smooth in my machine all the time with bigger cones. As I'm ducking the tomatoes I will say that it tends to leave a lot less gunk in my machine than high-priced "superior" threads and rarely breaks on me (seriously only once this whole quilt- pretty amazing considering that Gutterman thread and my machine have some medieval dual every time they come within spitting distance of each other). I also have a couple really basic sewing machines. This one was done on my mechanical no-frills Kenmore and my back-up is my 50s Singer with built in table. No long-arm, no Babylock, no computer gadgets- not that those are bad at all, I have since upgraded ;), but know they aren't necessary to create a beautiful quilt.
Off my tangent and back to thread... I prefer variegated cotton for the actual quilting and do tend to purchase something a little bit pricier (YLI and Signature are great) and generally around 40 weight for that application. I have yet to try King Tut but it's next on my list!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment